Re: Random checksums

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 04:55:24PM -0500, Zenon Panoussis wrote:

>> Alasdair, would you care explaining what I'm missing and what the
>> point of comparing files is?

> To find out what the problem is.

The problem is read errors. We already know that. It's the cause I'm
looking for, not the problem.

> The checksum just says 'something went wrong' but doesn't tell you
> what.  What proportion of the bits in the file are wrong?
> Is there any pattern in their location?
> Is every bit in the file being set to something random every time?

Since the md5sum is always different on the same file, we already know
that the error is never the same. And since I'm seeing errors on any
(big) file, we also already know that the errors are not particular
to any specific location.

> Are just a few bits getting flipped somewhere?

What does it matter? One single bit that's wrong corrupts the entire
file, and knowing the extent of the corruption per file doesn't help
to find its cause.