Re: Random checksums

Henrik Holst wrote:
> Zenon Panoussis wrote:

>>> Compare two files carefully and analyse which bytes are actually
>>> corrupt.

>> I cannot very well compare a file with itself, can I? That's what
>> I'm looking at above, one single file returning different checksums
>> every time. That makes rsync and the contents of the file on the
>> other computer completely irrelevant. If we forget rsync and assume
>> that the file was created on this machine, the problem is still there.

> md5sum tool computes the md5 sum by reading the entire file. Copy the
> same file to /root/fileA and then to /root/fileB. That should create two
> different files. Then compare files in /root.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I really don't understand the point
of comparing files. In /root/ the md5sum is always the same, so there
is no corruption and nothing to look for. In lsat/ the md5sum keeps
changing. So, if I do

  cp /root/fileA /root/fileB
  diff /root/fileA /root/fileB

there will be no difference. On the other hand, if I do

  cp lsat/file /root/fileA
  cp lsat/file /root/fileB
  diff /root/fileA /root/fileB

the files will be different, but that will only tell me that lsat/file
was read wrong at least once and perhaps twice during copying. I know
that already, that is the problem I'm reporting, not something I need
to find out.

Finally, if I would do

  cp lsat/file lsat/fileA

and compare lsat/file to lsat/fileA byte by byte, I would find that
bytes X, Y and Z differ. How does that make me any wiser? I don't
care one bit *which* bytes are wrong, all I care about is to know
*what* makes them wrong.

Theoretically, it could be the RAM, it could be the CPU, it could be
the hard drive, it could the kernel, it could be dm-crypt. I start
eliminating: /root runs under the same RAM, CPU and kernel as lsat,
so those can't be causing the error, or else I'd be seeing it in
/root too. That leaves me with the hard drive and dm-crypt. fsck and
badblocks say the hard drive is good. I run md5sum on this file and
then on another file and yet another, and it fails almost every time
on every file. If I had a bad sector or two, I'd be seing the error
on some files, but not on all of them. So I rule out the hard drive
(which BTW is just a month old) and that leaves me with dm-crypt.

Alasdair, would you care explaining what I'm missing and what the
point of comparing files is?