Re: Two Questions

Mathias Tauber wrote:
Hello out there,

I'm new to this list and sure I already have some questions ;O)

1. Is there a webarchive for this mailinglist available, if so where?

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.device-mapper.dm-crypt

2. At first the LUKS project sounds very interesting to me! Maybe
this can replace some commercial solutions ;O)

It all depends upon the functional specifications that you require.

I read the spec but I could't find the point, if it is possible to
access the encrypted files as root without knowing a password (km).
I'm sure this had been asked before, a link to the archive I would
appreciate.

No. root has no special privileges in this setting (other than being able to do the actual configuration, etc.).

In order to access and read an encrypted partition, any user must enter a passphrase. There may be multiple passphrases (up to 8 of them) that you can assign to one or more users, but they all end up unlocking a protected common key that is actually used for the encryption process.

In simple terms, that is one of the advantages of LUKS over some of the other systems. You can add/delete/modify the user passphrases without having to de-crypt and re-encrypt the partition, since the encrypting key is unchanged.

Greetings Mathias Tauber

Greetings.

Marc Schwartz