Re: Broken dm-crypt partition (ext3). How to recover? (password NOT forgotten)

Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez wrote:
> Now, when I try to mount it with the correct password I could see:
> [root@jupiter ~]# mount /dev/mapper/crypt /mnt -o ro
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> [root@jupiter ~]# mount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/crypt /mnt -o ro
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/crypt,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
p@xxxxxxxx

When mounting ext3 you can use an alternate superblock by specifying
sb=n where n is one of the alternate superblocks which may be used.  The
man page for mount has more info.

If you're like me and don't remember where these alternate superblocks
are, you can run mke2fs in a dry run mode with the -n option which will
just display what would have been done, including where the backup
superblocks would be located.  The man page for mke2fs has more info on
that.

Either way, Dirk Heinrichs suggestion of an fsck would be good.
--
Morgan Smith
Dutro Company