Re: dm-crypt with LUKS versus loop-AES multi-key v3

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 05:41:46PM +1000, Michael Cassaniti wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently posed a question on my Gentoo Linux forum regarding the
> strength of LUKS and loop-AES. I want to know which one is more secure
> based on its key length. I am no a cryptologist, but I do understand
> that AES only has either a 128-bit, 192-bit or 256-bit key length.

Each of which quelifies a practically unbreakable until a weakness
has been found in AWS or a completely different type of computation
device than the ones used today has been decoverd.

> I also know that loop-AES in multi-key v3 mode will use 64 keys and a 65th
> for the IV.
>
> What I really would like to know is, when I use a USB stick with LUKS,
> will it just be a substitute for the password and only act to encrypt
> the master key stored in a key slot on disk, or will it become the
> actual master key, allowing several different keys (similar to the
> mentioned loop-AES system) to be used? Don't be confused, I don't mean
> several different master keys, since this is not possible.
>
> I am not an advocate of either, and dm-crypt with LUKS is easier to set
> up. I just want to use the one that requires the most effort to break.
> It seems that dm-crypt with LUKS is only as strong as the password(s)
> given, because the master key is of fixed length, and is stored on disk.

LUKS would be potentially weaker, if the actual key(s) stored on
disk were weak. They are not and the passphrase is the limiting factor.
However the same is true for loop-AES. LUKS has the advantage
of using some techniques to make weak passwords harder to guess
though.

> Also, is it possible to gain more sophisticated/advanced information on
> the implementation of dm-crypt with LUKS, or just dm-crypt itself?
> Information such as modes of use for AES (CBC, ECB, PCBC), length of
> master key in bits and similar information would be helpful.

Well, a singel google finds you the LUKS homepage as first hit:

http://luks.endorphin.org/

Arno

> The link to the forum post is:
> <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=3353555>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=3353555
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Michael Cassaniti

Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich, wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----
Windows is the "under-3" toy of the OS world. -- Matthew D. Fuller