Further insight into the fs corruptions

Hi!

I set up some test-environment to gain further insight into the corruptions.
This took some time, since I only have one suitable system which at the same
time I use as a mailserver etc.

First I recreated an almost exact setup of the previous system to see if the
corruptions still occur (never underestimate Murphy's Law). This setup looks
like this:

2 120gb HDs, each with a 90GB partition for the tests, both partitions combined
to a degraded raid5 array (sorry, no other harddrives available to complete the
array). Dm-crypt over the md-device, lvm over the dm-crypt device. I started
with two large logical volumes and therefore large filesystem, but was now able
to reproduce the problem with a smaller (10GB) fs.
I'm currently trying 3GB. I'm using reiserfs at the moment, but as was already
stated, other filesystems suffer similar corruptions.

Other things I'll test after that:
- No LVM
- Different cyphers
- No dm-crypt
- Different kernels

And the things suggested on this list:
- Replace dm-crypt with dm-linear (ie standard logical volume)
- Replace md raid5 with md linear
- Latest upstream git & -mm kernel (to pick up recent md patches)
- Readahead disabled

Easiest way for me to cause the corruptions:
1. create a 1GB file containing random noise
2. while [ 1==1 ]; do cat 1GB_NOISE > 1GB_NOISE_2; done

After 30 minutes to 3 hours the kernel log will be filled with fs-warnings.

On the same harddrives I have a raid1 with dm-crypt but without LVM running
perfectly fine.

Other details:
Ubuntu 6.06
2.6.15-server kernel with the dm-crypt patch applied, that was posted here a
few days ago.

Servcies running while testing (the system is still in use, sorry):
MySQL
Apache
Postfix
Cyrus-Imap
Backuppc
several system-maintenance related cronjobs

If you think it's neccessary I'll disable some of the servcies for a few days.
And if I can cough up some money, I'll buy the needed hd to complete the raid5
array (Actually I have a suitable hd, but it contains a backup, which seems
neccessary, considering the fs corruptions).

Kevin