Re: HOWTO: Encrypting /home with cryptsetup-luks on Fedora Core 5

Roscoe wrote:
Is it really critical? What benefit does one gain if one is confident
in the security of the symmetric cipher?

The goal is to deny a prospective attacker any reasonable information that he/she could use to engage in a cryptanalytic attack on your data.

One can be confident in the security of any cipher, _for a finite period of time_, if the overall crypto _system_ is properly implemented including appropriate key selection, the security of the key and other related issues.

It is a weakest link approach, more often than not, limited by human behavior and engineering issues. The goal being to implement the system in such a way that the most reasonable attack is the brute force approach of trying every possible key allowable within the specification of the cipher in use. And...that type of attack is purely time limited, which is why longer keys (256 bits at least) are better.

Select a weak key (either a known weak key for the algorithm or one that is subject to a dictionary attack) and your security system might as well be a "wet paper bag".

There are other means of attacking crypto systems, which include the use of the unnecessary provision of information to the attacker and not just the key.

Part of the process of writing random data, especially prior to the first use of encryption, is to deny the use of the residual electromagnetic imprints of old data "in the clear" on the magnetic media. Read Peter Gutmann's paper on "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory", available via his home page at:

  http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/

All in all, it is a risk/benefit decision relative to the value of your data and the loss to you if it is revealed. Especially if that data is protected under law, such as patient identifiable medical data, which in the U.S. is covered under HIPAA and for which there are regulations covering its protection and where there are penalties for compromise.

We all lock our cars and homes to preclude easy access to most prospective intruders. However, a determined and sophisticated intruder will render those typical mechanisms impotent to the point where we might not know until after the fact, that something has been compromised.

As I noted in a prior reply, I am not worried about TLA's, because on the outside, we don't know what tools, including fundamental breakthroughs in number theory, that they can avail themselves of.

So that leaves others, who may yet have sophisticated tools available.

Pick up one of Bruce Schneier's books for more information. Applied Cryptography (both editions) were his first works, but Practical Cryptography is probably a better resource. There are also some good resources on Gutmann's page.

BTW, while we all focus on the use of open source operating systems and applications as one means to allow for the peer review of source code, we forget that these operating systems and applications run on top of proprietary chips which contain firmware for which there is no similar recourse. Consider what information would be available to appropriate folks if there are what are known as "covert channels" embedded in such chips.

That's why the U.S. government just banned the use of Lenovo PCs for governmental applications. Recall that Lenovo is the former IBM PC division (ie. ThinkPads), which they sold to a Chinese based company.

And that's not being paranoid, just realistic.

I personally figure dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/home before running
mkfs /dev/mapper/home is sufficient (to protect against issue
mentioned below).

(I don't really know much about file systems, but in my imagination
given a zeroed disk if one were to create a dm-crypt encrypted
filesystem on it, one would be able to ascertain how full the
encrypted partition was (and possibly some vague information about
size/number of files?) by looking at what areas of the disk *hadn't*
have ciphertext written to them. Of course if there exists
sophisticated analysis of the disk surface that can establish when and
to what area of a disk writing had taken place then you'd just have to
grin and bear that slight information leak.)

The point is not to 'zero' the disk, but to write random patterns of 0's AND 1's to the disk, where the random patterns have very long periods. That makes it more difficult to ascertain what is simply random and what is data that has been encrypted and should "appear" to be random.

One of the problems with weaker crypto algorithms is that the patterns are not sufficiently random and have periods that are too short, enabling the analyses of the patterns and the possibility of leading to the breaking of the cipher text.

That's one of the reasons why even the approach taken to writing random data is important to consider.

Using "badblocks" is weaker than "/dev/urandom" which is weaker than "/dev/random".

The problem is that the latter is impractical for use with very large hard drives. And in each case, they are pseudo random number generators. In highly secure applications, other dedicated devices that have been subjected to intense statistical pattern analysis are used.

And yes, there are sophisticated attacks on the physical media available, including the use of STM's (scanning tunneling microscopes) to review atomic level changes in the magnetic media. That would be a resource to TLA's of course and not the general community of prospective attackers, However, there are other EM based tools that would require less financial resources to secure. Which is why the only secure way to protect a discarded hard drive from revealing data is to physically destroy it.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz