Re: Re: hardware acceleration for dm-crypt or similar harddisk encryption software ?

On Thu, 11 May 2006 23:49:40 +0200
Markus Schuster <ma.schuster@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys !

Thanks Ronen for your information, I really didn't know that there's already
some support for those different crypto-processors ;)

> Ronen Shitrit schrieb:
> > There is a patch for using the dm-crypt with acrypto or OCF.
> > Both gives support for different HW accelerations.
> > Check the attached dm-crypt patch for OCF for kernel 2.6.12.
>
> This is _very_ interesting! From a first look OCF seems to be designed
> for smartcards but acrypto seems to be the right pointer!

I guess he doesn't mean the open card framework, but more the Linux port of the
OpenBSD/FreeBSD Cryptographic Framework (OCF):
http://ocf-linux.sourceforge.net/

> It has support
> for the hifn 7955 crypto accelerator chip which is assembled on the
> Soekris VPN1401 PCI card. They talk about > 30 MByte/s (250 Mbit/s)
> throughput. And this without overloading the CPU...
> Has anyone some praxis experience with acrypto and dm-crypt? Stability,
> data corruption (:)) and this sort of? There must be a cause it is not
> in vanilla kernel.

I guess it is just too experimental and/or just not common.
Anyway, there should be no problem with giving it a try, at least in read-only
mode there should be no way for data corruption.
The crypto-chips as well do all the work, IMHO they should be pretty stable.

The new soekris VPN cards are even AES capable and only cost as much
as EUR 63,-

Just f...ing cool, damnit :)))

> Regards,
> Markus