Re: start crypto disks at boot and password popup problems

On 26/04/2006 Henrik Holst wrote:
> Jonas Meurer wrote:
> > update the keyfiles to point their real location (in your example above
> > this seems to be /media/hdd1, not /media/STICK.
> > apart from that, it looks good.
> >

> /media/STICK might be the perfect position to mount. We cannot reference
> files inside block devices that are not logically mounted somwhere, can
> we? :-) Especially in UDEV context /media/STICK can be a very good mount
> point combined with something in the lines i describe below.

i'm not sure whether i got your point. in general, the name of the
mountpoint for a usbstick is the decision of a local user/admin.
/media/STICK might be a better choice, but from a technical point of
view, you can name your mountpoint /media/hdd1 too, even it's an
usbstick with a device like /dev/sda1.

the mountpoint should be mounted anyway. that's what the thread is
about. to mount a removable device, read a keyfile from it, and use this
keyfile with cryptsetup.

what i wanted to say, is that the original poster has given
contradictory lines. in /etc/init.d/cryptdisks, he added lines to mount
and read keyfiles from /media/STICK, in /etc/crypttab he refered to
keyfiles on /media/hdd1.
this inconsistence might be the reason for some of the problems he
described.

greetings
 jonas