Re: Re: Crypto Hardware Accelerator

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 17:15 -0400, Professor Moriarty wrote:

> You might have a look at the Soekris vpn1401 card, (technical specs
> here: http://www.soekris.com/vpn1401.htm). It is available in the EU
> and can do AES256 without a problem.

> It does have linux support, though I'm not sure if it can be used by
> OpenSSL applications. Typically, you'd have to have the crypto

Linux isn't really supported unless you wish to run an ancient kernel.
The sourceforge project for the hifn7951 chipset last saw files updated
09/11/2002.

Its supported natively however by OpenBSD and I believe FreeBSD however.

> accelerator take over API calls to en/decrypt for OpenSSL (A crypto
> accelerator is basically an FPGA with the required algos coded in), so
> I'm not too sure if it is possible to do this without actually editing
> OpenSSL's code directly

The aforementioned Linux driver uses an API provided by the cryptolib
designed by Martin Gadbois.  This means that in order to use it, you
need to patch your 2.2 or 2.4 kernel with the cryptolib and FreeS/WAN
patches.

I recall at the time I was attempting to make this work the Linux 2.6
Crypto API did not support hardware accelerators.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,
Programmer
| __|  \/  |/ __| The Electric Mail Company
| _|| |\/| | (__  Managed, Secure Email Services
|___|_|  |_|\___| http://www.electricmail.com
                  Direct Line: 604.482.1111 x152
PGP Key Fingerprint:
B2EF B741 1807 2F24 8B70  F89B 03D2 6CFF C52F 0052