Re: Userspace and Device-Tree

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 6:35 AM, Chris Read <chrisrfq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Since the GPIO sysfs allows you to request any GPIO that is not
>> claimed by a kernel driver from userspace, is there a reason why you
>> cannot simply run board-specific init scripts that request and
>> configure the GPIOs you need? Once GPIO naming is merged, this should
>> be as elegant as it gets for what you want to do.
>
> For many things this is true.  There are some hardware aspects/parameters
> of exporting that aren't controllable from userspace, such as whether or not
> reversing the direction of a GPIO is safe.

The original argument as to why kernel should handle hardware
is to keep things safe and under control.

I don't understand this argument really, should the kernel give you
a gun but stop you from shooting yourself in the foot with it or
what do you mean? Then the stance of kernel not to give out guns
is better.

Yours,
Linus Walleij