Re: Userspace and Device-Tree

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I properly understood what Chris wants, he may want to have a look
> at the following works:
>
> - GPIO hogging mechanism to configure a GPIO using the device tree -
> not sure if you can also export at that time?
> - Markus' ongoing work on GPIO naming:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-gpio/msg07844.html
> - Device tree overlays, to separate the configuration of GPIOs for
> user-space use (which is arguably specific to one's use case) from the
> rest of the board's definition
>
> With these 3 works I think Chris' needs would be fulfilled, at least
> as far as GPIOs are concerned.

Thanks for the pointers, Alexandre.  I think that these are right down
the line of what I think is required.  Much of the work seems already
done.  As you mention, though, exporting doesn't seem to be supported
yet.  I would like to see the addition of exporting to the GPIO hogging
mechanism:
1. A boolean to indicate the exporting the GPIO
2. A boolean to indicate whether the GPIO can be reconfigured
     (i.e. direction-may-change)

For the regulator case, it looks like a hogging mechanism might be
appropriate.