Re: Re: [v4,1/6] mmc: dt: add DT binding for big endian controller

[...]

> What I had in mind is replacing in_be32() with a esdhc_ops->readl() in this function. And the esdhc_ops->readl() would be assigned at the beginning according endian.
>
> static u32 esdhc_readl(struct sdhci_host *host, int reg)
> {
>         u32 ret;
>
>         ret = in_be32(host->ioaddr + reg);
>         /*
>          * The bit of ADMA flag in eSDHC is not compatible with standard
>          * SDHC register, so set fake flag SDHCI_CAN_DO_ADMA2 when ADMA is
>          * supported by eSDHC.
>          * And for many FSL eSDHC controller, the reset value of field
>          * SDHCI_CAN_DO_ADMA1 is one, but some of them can't support ADMA,
>          * only these vendor version is greater than 2.2/0x12 support ADMA.
>          * For FSL eSDHC, must aligned 4-byte, so use 0xFC to read the
>          * the verdor version number, oxFE is SDHCI_HOST_VERSION.
>          */
>         if ((reg == SDHCI_CAPABILITIES) && (ret & SDHCI_CAN_DO_ADMA1)) {
>                 u32 tmp = in_be32(host->ioaddr + SDHCI_SLOT_INT_STATUS);
>                 tmp = (tmp & SDHCI_VENDOR_VER_MASK) >> SDHCI_VENDOR_VER_SHIFT;
>                 if (tmp > VENDOR_V_22)
>                         ret |= SDHCI_CAN_DO_ADMA2;
>         }
>
>         return ret;
> }
>
> The LE and BE accessors could be defined in sdhci-esdhc.h for esdhc_ops->readl() as below.
> static u32 esdhc_be32bs_readl(struct sdhci_host *host, int reg)
> {
>        return ioread32be(host->ioaddr + reg);
> }
>
> static u32 esdhc_le32bs_readl(struct sdhci_host *host, int reg)
> {
>        return ioread32(host->ioaddr + reg);
> }
>
> Do you think it is ok for you?

It becomes a bit "hacky", but currently I can't think of a better solution.

> Or Maybe there is another method, use conditional compilation. The previous method would delete the MMC_SDHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER to use accessors defined in sdhci-esdhc.h, and add dependency of ARM. This method could use 'select <accessors> if <ARCH>' to compile LE or BE accessors according ARCH.

I don't really follow your suggestion.

Isn't the problem that you need the
MMC_SDHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_32BIT_BYTE_SWAPPER for configurations and for
some you don't? More precisely, for those where you don't you would
rather just use the regulator ioread* functions since those will
internally deal with the endianess in runtime?

If you can make these decisions at compile time an depending of the
ARCH - I believe I would be fine with that as well.

[...]

Kind regards
Uffe