Re: Device tree node order sort tool

On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 10:03:32AM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 11:43:53AM -0400, Frank Li wrote:
> > All:
> > 	I write a simple tools to sort device tree to make sure nodes and
> > properties sort as correct order.
> > 	https://github.com/lznuaa/dt-format
> >
> > 	There are many dt files, which have node order trivial issue, when
> > try to upstream. To reduce reviewer's time, dt-format can help correct the
> > order.
> >

> Hey Frank,
>
> Cool idea!

I concur, it is a useful idea.

> > 	I just want to make sure my understand about node order is correct.
> >
> > 	Rule 1: node@hexvalue,  	order by hexvalue
> > 	Rule 2: label: node,  		order by node name
> > 	Rule 3: node, 			order by node name
> > 	Rule 3: &label			order by label
>
> Some subsystems have different ordering, like expressed in DTS coding
> style:
> 1. DTS: keep order of DTSI file
> 2. DTSI: group similar nodes together (e.g. serial engines).

I think it's fine to pick whatever is used by іmx/nxp and start with
that style, get something working and then decide based on whether or
not there are many users (or interest) if it is worth allowing the
"style" to be configured.

> > 	Rule 4: children node already after property
> > 	Rule 5: "status" always is last one.
> > 	Rule 6: property order as below list[unfinished], otherwise, order
> > 	        by name.
> >
> > compatible
> > reg
> > reg-names
> > ranges
>
> Up to here everything above seems about right, except above caveats.
>
> > #interrupt-cells
> > interrupt-controller
> > interrupts
> > interrupt-names
> > #gpio-cells
> > gpio-controller
> > gpio-ranges
> > #address-cells
> > #size-cells
> > clocks
> > clock-names
> > assigned-clocks
> > assigned-clock-parents
> > assigned-clock-rates
> > dmas
> > dma-names
>
> I don't think we have defined order for these.

We may not, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the order that
Frank has chosen here being a ‶default".
That said, I'd not enjoy getting a bunch of patches for the platforms
that I maintain redoing things in this order, so it is worth asking the
platform maintainer for their take on whether it should be used for
anything other than new code, before sending a rake of patches.

Cheers,
Conor.