Re: chosen/stdout-path and userland (Re: Can't boot kernel v4.0-rc2 on Koelsch)

Hi Peter,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Peter Hurley <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/11/2015 06:08 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> TL;DR
>>
>> After removing the "console=" parameter from chosen/bootargs, and relying
>> solely on chosen/stdout-path, Hiep-san's Linaro userland cannot find the
>> console device anymore.

> The tty subsystem emits the list of consoles as a space-delimited, single text
> line in /sys/class/tty/console/active (alias: /sys/devices/virtual/tty/console/active).

Thanks! I didn't know about that virtual file.

> The first console listed is the primary console.
> tty0 is not resolved to its underlying tty device name.

Are you sure about that? Isn't the last one the primary console?

root@koelsch:~# cat  /sys/class/tty/console/active
tty0 ttySC0

If tty0 would be the primary console, getty on /dev/console wouldn't work for
my serial console, as only input on the primary console can be read through
/dev/console if my memory serves me well (or perhaps this has changed?).

Ah, Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-tty agrees with me:

What:           /sys/class/tty/console/active