Re: [RFC] cpufreq: Add "dvfs-method" binding to probe cpufreq drivers

On 27 November 2014 at 16:45, Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's the general understanding, I am not sure if it's specified anywhere
> in the kernel Documentation, but I could find the below excerpts from [1]:
>
> "The compatibility rules say that new kernels must work with older
> device trees. If changes are required, they should be put into new
> properties; the old ones can then be deprecated but not removed. New
> properties should be optional, so that device trees lacking those
> properties continue to work. The device tree developers will provide a
> set of guidelines for the creation of future-proof bindings."
>
> It's *exactly opposite* as DTs are considered as part of firmware that
> gets shipped with the boards and any kernel should work with that DT if
> it is compliance with the DT bindings(even old, as the DT bindings
> should never get changed only gets extended)

Okay, I was completely wrong. :)

> No, you *must* :). That's backward compatibility. Just consider a simple
> case where the bootloader is generating DT and we don't want to upgrade it.

Now these are the options we have for existing platforms:

- Update those platforms to check if DT has "compatible" string in CPU node.
If yes, don't create a device as this will be created by cpufreq-dt.

- Just remove the device creation from those paths if the Maintainers of
those platforms want to cleanup their code, accepting the loss of backward
compatibility..

--
viresh