Re: gpio-line-names policy

Hi Trevor,

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 4:07 PM Trevor Woerner <twoerner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But what about those lines that go out to general purpose headers such as
> the 40 pins of the Raspberry Pi header? Most SBCs have some set of header
> that's available to users to connect whatever devices they wish, many of
> them have adopted the rpi's 40-pin layout.

I think using the names on the header is fine, what I didn't want to see
is things like the name of the pin on the SoC package or names made
up from kernel-internal software constructs. As long as it is something
real, and preferably unique I'm fine with it.

One early example is the HiKey N96 board:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/hisilicon/hi3670-hikey970.dts

Yours,
Linus Walleij