Re: [RFC v2 GPIO lines [was: GPIO User I/O]

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20/07/20 10:17, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > IIUC Rodolfo's idea is to provide this with a DT compatible.
> > The use case will be industrial automation-ish tasks from userspace.
> >
> > Currently the only mechanism we have in the device tree to
> > assign a use for a line is the "gpio-line-names" property,
> > which creates a name that is reported upward to the character
> > device.
> >
> > Rodolfo's patch is for scripting use cases, assigning some lines
> > for some cases to be handled by scripts, not the character device.
> >
> > What I am a bit worried about is if this would be a Linuxism, as DT
> > should be OS neutral.
>
> Hello Linus,
>
> I'm currently using my solution for GPIOs management as input or output lines
> described in the DT on several systems.
>
> Are you re-thinking about this topic? Can we go further for inclusion or should
> I continue doing out-of-tree? :(

It is a system description question, and I think you will need to discuss it
on the devicetree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.

The people there are working with things like the system device tree which
is intended to describe aspects of a system apart from what Linux or
any operating system is doing with the hardware.

I would send an RFC of the proposed DT bindings there.

They have been Cced in the past but not addressed directly.

Yours,
Linus Walleij