Re: [RFC v2 GPIO lines [was: GPIO User I/O]

On 26/04/21 10:48, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 11:44 AM Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 20/07/20 10:17, Linus Walleij wrote:
>>> IIUC Rodolfo's idea is to provide this with a DT compatible.
>>> The use case will be industrial automation-ish tasks from userspace.
>>>
>>> Currently the only mechanism we have in the device tree to
>>> assign a use for a line is the "gpio-line-names" property,
>>> which creates a name that is reported upward to the character
>>> device.
>>>
>>> Rodolfo's patch is for scripting use cases, assigning some lines
>>> for some cases to be handled by scripts, not the character device.
>>>
>>> What I am a bit worried about is if this would be a Linuxism, as DT
>>> should be OS neutral.
>
> Not only neutral but be software'isms free!
> It's only about hardware.
>
> What I understand here is that we have missed the intermediate layer
> (let's call it 'platform abstraction') where it's related to the
> platform and neither strictly speaking hardware, nor software per se.

Maybe I don't well understand the-problem(TM), but why people are currently
using led and uinput layers to describes their output or input lines?

Why don't providing a dedicated layer for this special scope?

My two cents,

Rodolfo

--
GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti@xxxxxxxxxxxx