Re: using interrupt controller dt-bindings macros in Non GPL dts files

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:40 PM Stephen Warren <swarren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephen Warren wrote at Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:40 PM:
> > Li Yang wrote at Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:10 PM:

> > > Right, we should work with the author/contributor of these two files.
> > >
> > > Hi Stephen and Geert,
> > >
> > > Are you ok with relicensing these two files with (GPL-2.0 OR MIT)?
> > > Given that many dts files in arm/arm64 are dual licensed with GPL and
> > > MIT/X11/BSD, it makes more sense that these header files are dual
> > > licensed with a permissive license too.
> >
> > FWIW, I have filed an internal bug to our IP audit team to see what they
> > think. I cannot predict the answer or timeline for an answer.
>
> It turns out I got a very quick answer from our legal department. The
> joy of filing a bug right before their scheduled meeting! We're fine
> either:
>
> a) Sending the files direct to you with an MIT license (we'd send a copy
> of the last version only touched by me, un less Geert also ack's the
> license change).
>
> b) Sending a patch to convert these files to just MIT (preferable), or
> perhaps dual GPLv2/MIT if that's what the kernel maintainers want.

I think b) is better as it can also benefit others who also use dual
license in dts files.

> Let me know which option works best for you.
>
> That said, have you thought about all the other files you'll likely
> need; those two IRQ related files are unlikely to be the only files that
> are useful. Don't you want/need to relicense "everything" in include/dt/
> and arch/*/boot/dts/?

There are only a few header files in include/dt-bindings/ suppose to
be generic.  The irq related ones are the only files we used.  Maybe
it will be helpful to have the generic headers dual licensed too.  But
I think the license used for the arch/*/boot/dts/ files should be
decided by the hardware vendor/copyright holders themselves.

Regards,
Leo