Re: [GIT PULL] DeviceTree updates for 4.15

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So these two warnings seems to be happening:
>
>   drivers/of/unittest-data/testcases.dtb: Warning
> (interrupts_extended_property): Could not get phandle node for
> /__local_fixups__/testcase-data/interrupts/interrupts-extended0:interrupts-extended(cell
> 3)
>
>   drivers/of/unittest-data/testcases.dtb: Warning
> (interrupts_property): interrupts size is (4), expected multiple of 8
> in /testcase-data/testcase-device2
>
> and honestly, warnings during "make allmodconfig" are not acceptable.
> Right now we have a few module license warnings that I hope are going
> to go away, but the devicetree one I didn't even notice when it
> appeared. I'm actually surprised, because I do a "make allmodconfig"
> in between all pulls, and I didn't notice it after doing the
> devicetree pull.
>
> Of course, that is probably just exactly because those module-license
> warnings have made me warning-blind, which is why warnings aren't
> acceptable.
>
> "It's a benign warning" is never true, exactly because a couple of
> benign warnings that people get used to then end up hiding all the
> _bad_ cases.

These cases are intentionally bad DT data to feed the testcase. We can
switch off the warning (at least I think the kbuild infrastructure is
there), but then the check is disabled for all the good cases too
which isn't great. We probably need to split the test data into good
and bad data dtbs, but that will take some restructuring of the tests.

> I have no idea how that dts test-case is _supposed_ to work, so I'll
> just write this plaintive email. Please fix it.

Okay, we'll come up with something.

Rob