Re: Devicetree Workshop Follow Up: Adding hierarchy to arch/arm/boot/dts

Hi Russell,

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 05:09:17PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 09:46:26AM -0700, Moritz Fischer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as discussed in Prague last week, here's my follow up.
> > A bit of background again as refresher: Some time ago I submitted a
> > patchset adding dts for some of upcoming boards ([1]).
> > Arguments brought up against merging it were that we have too many Zynq
> > based boards already in tree.
> >
> > During the Devicetree Workshop we had a brief discussion and most people
> > in the room seemed to be ok with adding the boards, someone suggested
> > (Arnd?) to add vendor subdirectories like in arm64, i.e. something
> > like:
> >
> > arch/arm/boot/dts/xilinx/ni/<board>
> >
> > where Xilinx would be the SoC vendor and NI the integrator.
>
> I utterly hate deep levels of directories, but I think the ARM64
> solution where we /generally/ have one level of additional
> directories under dts is a good compromise.  With 1640 files in
> arch/arm/boot/dts, it does need splitting up.
>
> I'm not sure that splitting it by "integrator" is a good idea
> for a single level of directory - using the SoC, SoC group, or
> SoC manufacturer is better.  It needs to be a balance between
> number of subdirectories and number of files in the subdirectory,
> so using guidance and not setting it as a hard and fast rule
> makes sense too.  What is right for one SoC group may not be
> right for another group of SoCs.

Ok so in our case that would be:

arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-*.dts -> arch/arm/boot/dts/xilinx

or:

arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-*.dts -> arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq

> What I think we should avoid is having to needlessly descend into
> all of the subdirectories, so it needs to be based around the
> Kconfig symbols we're already using.

So as example only add the arch/arm/boot/dts/xilinx subdirectory based on
CONFIG_ARCH_ZYNQ?

> --
> RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
> FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up
> According to speedtest.net: 8.21Mbps down 510kbps up

Cheers,

Moritz