Devicetree Workshop Follow Up: Adding hierarchy to arch/arm/boot/dts

Hi all,

as discussed in Prague last week, here's my follow up.
A bit of background again as refresher: Some time ago I submitted a
patchset adding dts for some of upcoming boards ([1]).
Arguments brought up against merging it were that we have too many Zynq
based boards already in tree.

During the Devicetree Workshop we had a brief discussion and most people
in the room seemed to be ok with adding the boards, someone suggested
(Arnd?) to add vendor subdirectories like in arm64, i.e. something
like:

arch/arm/boot/dts/xilinx/ni/<board>

where Xilinx would be the SoC vendor and NI the integrator.

or:

arch/arm/boot/dts/xilinx/<board>
arch/arm/boot/dts/ni/<board>

where right now we have:

arch/arm/boot/dts/<board>

The conclusion was I'd follow up on the mailing list and we discuss
here.

So open questions:

1) Is anyone fundamentally opposed to having sub-directories there?

2) Does anyone see any reason why this wouldn't work, i.e. what do we
break?

3) If we do this, should we do it for all boards (I can send a patch for
that) in that case

If we decide to move forward with this, I'll add a bit to documentation,
so next time around it's clear for people what they have to do.

Thanks,

Moritz

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/9/11/459