Re: ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

On 22 October 2013 22:44, Matt Sealey <neko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any driver that fails probing for an optional property is
> broken and needs fixing.

I agree, but I note that by this rule all the primecell peripheral
drivers are broken, because the binding docs say that the
"clocks" and "clock-names" properties are optional but if you
omit them from the dt node then the kernel refuses to even
call the driver's probe code. (This is specifically irritating for
QEMU because it means we have to create a dummy clock
node in our device tree just to placate the kernel sufficiently
that we can get it to talk to a PL011 UART model.)

-- PMM