Re: Adding aliases to mmc

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 09:42:38AM +0200, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 07:23:27AM +0200, Dirk Behme wrote:

> > >I think the initrd would be typical.
> >
> > An embedded system typically doesn't have an initrd. The kernel
> > boots directly into the rootfs on SD/eMMC.

> > >Yes by default.
> > >
> > >Although for an embedded product with a fixed eMMC, there's no reason
> > >you couldn't make every device have the same UUID for the fixed device.
> >
> > How do you make the eMMC on 1000 boards have the same UUID?
>
> The same way you ensure an identical partition table in these 1000
> boards. The disk signature is just a four byte value at offset 440 in
> the MBR. Set this to your birthday or whatever on all boards, pass
> root=PARTUUID=<yourbirthday>-01 on all boards and you're done.

Until someone inserts a SD-Card with the same disk signature...

Always booting from eMMC is a quite important use case for embedded
systems. And so far the only reliable solution seems to be an initrd. And
using an initrd is not acceptable in many cases. Certainly not just to
figure out where the rootfs is.

Regards,
Michael