Re: All device tree bindings need maintainer ack or just the 'interesting' ones.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:58:04PM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:

[Devices matching the Linux internal devices name as a compatible value]

> Judging by a quick and dirty grep [1], as of v3.12-rc1 there are ~930
> suffixes which *may* be accepted with an arbitrary prefix as an I2C
> compatible string, of which ~750 do not appear in
> Documentation/devicetree. For SPI there are just over 400, of which just
> under 400 aren't documented. Both these counts include drivers that may
> never be built for DT platforms, as I've not filtered the results.

Personally I've always viewed this as being an attempt to be liberal in
what we accept with regard to buggy device trees rather than anything
else (and I do push back on DT bindings that don't include setting a
proper match table up).  For all practical purposes it should generally
come up with the right answer.

> We don't appear to have any clashes yet (with "vendor-a,device" and
> "vendor-b,device"), so maybe that's not an issue -- we can add
> of_match_table entries as required to disambiguate, though we have to be
> careful to capture all the prefixes already in use.

There are some chip naming clashes out there - both Wondermedia and
Wolfson use WMxxxx and there are reused numbers for example - but it's
not common and generally bus types will disambiguate).