Re: Intended use of "model" property?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 3:18 PM Marti Bolivar
<marti.bolivar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand the intended use of the model property
> in DT spec v0.4-rc1 §2.3.2.
>
> Specifically, can "model" be a property in any node of the devicetree?

Yes, but not like 'status' in that bindings must define using it.

> The spec seems to indicate so, but grepping around the DTS files in
> Linux, it seems to be primarily used as a property of the root node, as
> a model name for the entire device.
>
> There are a few exceptions in Documentation/devicetree/bindings/, but
> they are mostly in sound/, so it's not clear to me whether this is the
> "model" I'm referring to here, especially since that isn't present next
> to "compatible", "reg", and friends in dt-schema/meta-schemas/core.yaml.

Audio has a defined use for 'model' to provide a name for the 'sound device'.

It's not in meta-schemas/core.yaml simply because it's not appearing
in lots of bindings.

> Is "model" in the §2.3.2 sense meant to be a property of the root node
> only, or can it appear anywhere with the meaning defined there?

Even use in the root node is not terribly well defined. ePAPR
(starting point for the spec) defined it as a compatible like string.
On Arm, it's a more human friendly freeform string.

So I wouldn't encourage new uses.

Rob