Intended use of "model" property?

I'm trying to understand the intended use of the model property
in DT spec v0.4-rc1 §2.3.2.

Specifically, can "model" be a property in any node of the devicetree?
The spec seems to indicate so, but grepping around the DTS files in
Linux, it seems to be primarily used as a property of the root node, as
a model name for the entire device.

There are a few exceptions in Documentation/devicetree/bindings/, but
they are mostly in sound/, so it's not clear to me whether this is the
"model" I'm referring to here, especially since that isn't present next
to "compatible", "reg", and friends in dt-schema/meta-schemas/core.yaml.

Is "model" in the §2.3.2 sense meant to be a property of the root node
only, or can it appear anywhere with the meaning defined there?

Thanks.