Re: Meeting notes: Planning around splitting devicetree data out of the Linux tree

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 1:09 PM Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 2:46 PM Olof Johansson <olof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Could have been cool to be cc:d. Luckily I don't filter the mailing
> > list out of my inbox today so I spotted it.
>
> Sorry, was mainly just trying to get it to *some* public list...

Yep, no worry -- and I appreciate that effort.

> [...]
> > >
> > > Last we talked Arnd was not on board with maintaining this. Don't know
> > > about Olof.
> > >
> > > And let's not kid ourselves, there is no 'to start with' here.
> >
> > Whomever wants to split DTS files out of the kernel tree, gets to
> > maintain it. That includes the usual maintainership responsibilities
> > of making sure the quality of the contributions are at the expected
> > level, etc.
> >
> > My main opinion remains unchanged though -- given the way development
> > happens today, we should have at least a superset DT target in the
> > kernel -- usually this is a development/eval board for an SoC.
> > Derivative/product platforms based on that could live in an external
> > repo maintained elsewhere. But splitting up main DT and the
> > kernel/driver side today, including completely separate review/merge
> > paths would make for a more complicated setup, not a simpler one.
> >
> > Today we often rely on subsystem/driver maintainers to review and
> > chime in on bindings, header files, etc. If we do completely different
> > flows for the two efforts, it'll add significant overhead for
> > contributors and maintainers.
>
> Those reviews on bindings are a key sticking point for me. I don't see
> that getting transferred out of the kernel. Sure, maybe some can be
> coaxed into signing up to review those subsystem bindings in a new
> repository, but once the patches don't go thru their tree they'll
> eventually stop paying attention.

Right, so with that chain:
 - People who care should review
... and
 - The people who currently care are the kernel folks
... and
 - Kernel folks always want to see the user of something at the same
time since it aids review to see how things are used
... which means
 - Having bindings and DTSI and one (or more) DTS instantiations and
include and driver go together
... which means
 - I don't see how we can do this outside of the kernel tree.

But, again, derivative DTS/product instantiations could be just fine
to track elsewhere.

-Olof