Re: FW: Meeting notes: Planning around splitting devicetree data out of the Linux tree

 Hello all,

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 13:58:35 -0600
Steve McIntyre <steve.mcintyre@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Arg, missed the CC to the devicetree-spec list.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Steve McIntyre <steve.mcintyre@xxxxxxxxxx> -----
>
> From: Steve McIntyre <steve.mcintyre@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: dte-all@xxxxxxxxxx
> Cc: dan.handley@xxxxxxx, Mathieu Poirier <mathieu.poirier@xxxxxxxxxx>,
> 	broonie@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 18:07:30 +0100
> Subject: Meeting notes: Planning around splitting devicetree data out of the
> 	Linux tree
>
> Hi all,
>
> A large group of us met yesterday at Linaro Connect in San Diego to
> discuss this topic. I hope most people are on one of the two the
> mailing lists here already - please forward if you think somebody is
> not and should see this.
>
> (probably incomplete) list of attendees
> =======================================
> Steve McIntyre, Arm/Linaro
> Bill Fletcher, Linaro
> Bruce Ashfield, Xilinx
> Mark Brown, Arm
> Stefano Stabellini, Xilinx
> Arnd Bergmann, Linaro
> Grant Likely, Arm
> Mathieu Poirier, Linaro
> Loic Pallardy, ST
> ???, Socionext
>
> Notes
> =====
>
> Please correct me if you think I'm missed/mis-described something...
>
> We believe that it's time to move arm and arm64 DT data out of the
> kernel tree to a separate repo, on github. Arnd showed a graph showing
> the number of dts files, grouped by architecture. Vast majority are
> for arm/arm64, with a small number elsewhere. *Still* not all arm
> platforms have moved across to DT totally (e.g. omap2).
>
> What work needs to be done?
>
>  * create repo (github.com/devicetree.org/dts)
>  * move the dts files, bindings, and header files across *together* -
>    they make no sense separately.
>
> Is anybody else except Linux using the header files we have? not that
> we know of.

 If you are talking about the headers include/dt-bindings at least
FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are using it to some extent.
 Talking just about FreeBSD now, we include them in our kernel drivers
when the licence is fine with us (X11 was chosen for some reason).
 We need them for clocks/reset/etc... ids.
 When the licence isn't okay for us (GPL) we redifine the ID in our
drivers. I've always wondered if such include should/can be licenced
anyway, those are just numbers that we need to know.

> As the first aim, we'd copy things from the external repo into the
> kernel tree periodically - just like we do with dtc already. Later on,
> we might revisit that decision.

 What would be the difference with the devicetree-rebasing repo ?

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/devicetree/devicetree-rebasing.git/

 This is the one I'm using to import DTS into the FreeBSD source tree.

> if we move the DTS files out, would we still want to build them with
> the kernel? Why? Should the kernel build sync things across
> automatically at build time? Sometimes mips and ppc build the DTB
> files into a bootable image format, so there is a dependency there for
> those arches. Not for arm/arm64.
>
> We have a prototype patchset for the kernel which would add support
> for out-of-tree dts files. Needs re-evaluating, it's gone stale.

 DTS are known to break backward compatibility so a kernel (Linux or
*BSD) needs to be in sync with them.

> How would the kernel devs pick the right DTB from an external tree?
> Worry about forwards/backwards compat. Follow the same release cadence
> as the kernel for now, tag it matching? How do we keep it in sync?
>
> Two different sets of versioning here - DT versioning, and Linux
> versioning.
>
> We should have tooling and data in separate repos. Common schema in
> with tooling, device bindings in the data repo?
>
> How do we keep DTS and drivers in sync between the two repos? In early
> development, we will need maintainers of both repos to work together.

 Do not break bindings.

 Cheers,

Emmanuel Vadot <manu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <manu@xxxxxxxxxxx>