RE: Define primary MAC address based on device sticker

Hi,

> I don't have a strong opinion, so to throw out some other ideas:
>
> We already have ethernetN. Perhaps just go with netN with net0 being
> the primary device.

Note that vendors actually prefer WiFi devices (I have no statistics, but I assume > 50 %) for assigning them with the sticker MAC address. This is reasonable, as those are more exposed to the typical user than ethernet. Sometimes ethernet and WiFi MAC addresses are the same, however there are at least the three following cases:

- Sticker MAC address is uniquely assigned to a WiFi device (and all ethernet device addresses are different)
- Sticker MAC address is uniquely assigned to an ethernet device (and all WiFi addresses are different)
- Sticker MAC address is assigned both to a WiFi device and an ethernet device (in which case the choice for "primary-mac-address" would be arbitrary).

I'm just going into detail here to illustrate that one might not want to use the term "ethernet".
For net0, net1, etc. that would then have to include both ethernet and WiFi in different order for different devices (as net0 might be ethernet or WiFi).

Partially off-topic, but FYI: Many cheap routers typically then use incremented addresses for the other devices despite "primary", which might also have negative increments (e.g. eth0: sticker, eth1: sticker+1, 2.4 GHz: sticker-1, 5 GHz: sticker-2). So it is reasonably hard to order a mixed bunch of ethernet and WiFi devices systematically by netX ...

Best

Adrian