Re: DT case sensitivity

On Thu, 2018-08-23 at 06:43 -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 4:02 AM Grant Likely <grant.likely@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > What problem are you trying to solve?
>
> I'm looking at removing device_node.name and using full_name instead
> (which now is only the local node name plus unit-address). This means
> replacing of_node_cmp() (and still some strcmp) calls in a lot of
> places. I need to use either strncmp or strncasecmp instead.
>
> > I would think making everything
> > case insensitive would be the direction to go if you do anything. Least
> > possibility of breaking existing platforms in that scenario.
>
> Really? Even if all the "new" arches are effectively case sensitive?
> Anything using dtc and libfdt are (and json-schema certainly will be).
> But I frequently say the kernel's job is not DT validation, so you
> pass crap in, you get undefined results.

I tend to agree with Grant. Let's put it this way:

What is the drawback of being case insensitive ?

Do we expect that there exist a case where we will want to distinguish
between nodes that have the same name with a different case ?

If not, I don't see the point of being strict about it.

Cheers,
Ben.