Re: DT case sensitivity

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 4:02 AM Grant Likely <grant.likely@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23/08/2018 02:29, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2018-08-22 at 20:26 -0500, Rob Herring wrote:

> >> Doesn't it depend on the implementation? Otherwise, how is Sparc different?
> >
> > Not sure ... Forth itself is insensitive for words but maybe not for
> > string comparisons.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?

I'm looking at removing device_node.name and using full_name instead
(which now is only the local node name plus unit-address). This means
replacing of_node_cmp() (and still some strcmp) calls in a lot of
places. I need to use either strncmp or strncasecmp instead.

> I would think making everything
> case insensitive would be the direction to go if you do anything. Least
> possibility of breaking existing platforms in that scenario.

Really? Even if all the "new" arches are effectively case sensitive?
Anything using dtc and libfdt are (and json-schema certainly will be).
But I frequently say the kernel's job is not DT validation, so you
pass crap in, you get undefined results.

Rob