Re: is "virtual-reg" an official DTSpec property?

On Wed, 2018-08-08 at 17:01 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, David Gibson wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 04:43:03PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >

> > >   i went looking for examples of that property in the current
> > > linux
> > > kernel code base, and was a bit puzzled to see that *all*
> > > references
> > > to that property -- both the setting and the processing -- is for
> > > powerpc exclusively. searching from the very top of the kernel
> > > source:
> > >
> > > $ grep -rl virtual-reg *
> > > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/wii.dts
> > > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/rainier.dts
> > > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sequoia.dts
> > > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ep405.dts
> > > ... snip ...
> > > $
> > >
> > >   so if the device tree processing code under drivers/of doesn't
> > > even recognize that property, how is it officially part of the
> > > spec? or am i misreading something?
> > virtual-reg is kind of a hack, I think we want to discourage its
> > use
> > as much as possible.
>   discouraging its use is one thing, but the issue is whether it's
> even an *official* property under the spec. if it is completely
> defined and processed under only powerpc and is not even recognized
> by
> the basic kernel drivers/of code, how does it merit inclusion in the
> spec?
>
>   i realize there may not be a perfect equivalence here, but when
> checking out parts of the spec, i like to check how those parts of
> the
> spec are processed by the kernel code under drivers/of, and it just
> seems odd if there is no mention of such a property in the kernel. or
> am i misunderstanding the correspondence between the DTSpec and what
> is implemented in the kernel in that they don't have to match?
>
> rday

I hate to keep hearing "the kernel" as if linux is the only possible
consumer of devicetree data, and is thus the definitive source on what
the data should be. U-Boot, FreeBSD, and NetBSD are also consumers.

The virtual-reg property is documented for PowerPC in the ePAPR
document. I don't know what relationship there is between that document
and the devicetree spec.

-- Ian