Re: is "virtual-reg" an official DTSpec property?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, David Gibson wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 04:43:03PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   i went looking for examples of that property in the current linux
> > kernel code base, and was a bit puzzled to see that *all* references
> > to that property -- both the setting and the processing -- is for
> > powerpc exclusively. searching from the very top of the kernel source:
> >
> > $ grep -rl virtual-reg *
> > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/wii.dts
> > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/rainier.dts
> > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sequoia.dts
> > arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ep405.dts
> > ... snip ...
> > $
> >
> >   so if the device tree processing code under drivers/of doesn't
> > even recognize that property, how is it officially part of the
> > spec? or am i misreading something?
>
> virtual-reg is kind of a hack, I think we want to discourage its use
> as much as possible.

  discouraging its use is one thing, but the issue is whether it's
even an *official* property under the spec. if it is completely
defined and processed under only powerpc and is not even recognized by
the basic kernel drivers/of code, how does it merit inclusion in the
spec?

  i realize there may not be a perfect equivalence here, but when
checking out parts of the spec, i like to check how those parts of the
spec are processed by the kernel code under drivers/of, and it just
seems odd if there is no mention of such a property in the kernel. or
am i misunderstanding the correspondence between the DTSpec and what
is implemented in the kernel in that they don't have to match?

rday