Re: should list of recommended node names be updated?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:17 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2018, Rob Herring wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 4:03 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >

> > Yes, to answer your question in the subject...
>
>   i don't know enough about the standards for node names, but here's a
> list i collected in my travels -- i will leave it to others higher up
> the food chain to decide what sort of cleanup is merited (repitition
> from earlier post, and a few new entries thrown in):

The purpose of the list is not to collect what folks have been using by chance.

>   gpio-controller

'gpio' is the defined name here. Yes, it's not consistent, but oh well.

>   {l2-,l3-,}cache-controller

Cache level is a property and shouldn't be needed in the node name.
But sometimes we have several caches at the same level with no
unit-address to make the names unique.

>   video,video-scaler
>   qos
>   vram
>   gadget

Linux term.

>   spi[-]flash
>   usb[-]phy
>   usb[-]hub

Why allow/endorse 2 forms?

>   mtd_dataflash

mtd is a Linuxism. Plus, this one looked like just copy-n-paste a
bunch of times on at91 platforms.

>   i2c-controller
>   spi-controller

i2c and spi are the defined names for these.

>   led_pins

Not sure what this is supposed to be.

> rday
>
> p.s. i submit that the entry "cpus" should be deleted from that list,
> in the same way that you would not include the node names "aliases" or
> "chosen" in that list. but that's just me.

Yes, perhaps.

Rob