Re: Export firmware information to userspace

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 02:27:28PM +0100, Carlo Caione wrote:
> Hi,
> this problem came up while I was trying to solve the problem: how do I
> query the U-Boot version from userspace on an ARM platform so that I
> can upgrade it when necessary.
>
> One possible solution (adopted also from ChromeOS IIRC) is basically to
> export the firmware information into the DT. I think that this could be
> a nice and elegant solution (the firmware itself is in charge to add
> the information to the DTB before passing it down to the kernel).
>
> Is this allowed by the DT specs? Is there already any bindings around
> to carry this kind of information?

It's perfectly valid to come up with a device tree binding for U-Boot,
which U-Boot could use to export information about itself to the kernel.

For example, there's a binding for coreboot [1] which exposes firmware
parameters in a memory area. So long as it's documented, that should be
fine.

Thanks,
Mark.

[1] Documentation/devicetree/bindings/firmware/coreboot.txt