Export firmware information to userspace

Hi,
this problem came up while I was trying to solve the problem: how do I
query the U-Boot version from userspace on an ARM platform so that I
can upgrade it when necessary.

One possible solution (adopted also from ChromeOS IIRC) is basically to
export the firmware information into the DT. I think that this could be
a nice and elegant solution (the firmware itself is in charge to add
the information to the DTB before passing it down to the kernel).

Is this allowed by the DT specs? Is there already any bindings around
to carry this kind of information?

(Or maybe is there some other elegant solution already in place for
this exact problem)

Cheers.