Re: [RFC] devicetree: new FDT format version

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 06:32:35PM +0000, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:01 PM, Frank Rowand <frowand.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Oh.. not just FDT unflattening code.
> >>
> >> The trouble with this is that scanning for a specific node or property
> >> in a set of chained overlays is highly nontrivial.  Even if you set
> >> aside the arguably self-imposed design constraints in libfdt, you
> >> can't just do the same lookup in each fragment: along the way you need
> >> to resolve the path at which each fragment applies.  That in itself is
> >> non-trivial.  If you have overlays applying on top of other overlays,
> >> that could involve recursive lookups of things from previous overlays.
> >> It's spectacularly complicated and we have to do it on *every single*
> >> read operation.
> >
> > I totally overlooked having to resolve each fragment.  You are right,
> > that makes the problem very complex instead of trivial.
>
> It would be possible to do if each fragment was pre-resolved at append
> time to the node that it modifies. ie. each fragment node points back
> with an offset to the node it modifies Then searching the tree could
> be done by walking backwards through the fragments instead of
> searching forwards. Would need to research the best way to do that,
> and it would also mean that merely appending a DTB fragment isn't an
> option.

I guess.  But if you're going to pre-resolve, why not just apply the
overlay.  Yes, it's a bit simpler at the time, but you increase
overall complexity in that: 1) you split one logical operation into
two places, 2) you have to define an intermediate
resolved-but-not-applied overlay format.

We already have a full overlay application implementation that works
on flattened trees.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson