Re: [RFC] devicetree: new FDT format version

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:01 PM, Frank Rowand <frowand.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/25/18 04:29, David Gibson wrote:

>>> < snip >
>>>
>>> What I wrote was somewhat ambiguous.  What I meant by "FDT read
>>> code" was functions that check for existence of nodes in the
>>> FDT or read property values from the FDT.
>>
>> Oh.. not just FDT unflattening code.
>>
>> The trouble with this is that scanning for a specific node or property
>> in a set of chained overlays is highly nontrivial.  Even if you set
>> aside the arguably self-imposed design constraints in libfdt, you
>> can't just do the same lookup in each fragment: along the way you need
>> to resolve the path at which each fragment applies.  That in itself is
>> non-trivial.  If you have overlays applying on top of other overlays,
>> that could involve recursive lookups of things from previous overlays.
>> It's spectacularly complicated and we have to do it on *every single*
>> read operation.
>
> I totally overlooked having to resolve each fragment.  You are right,
> that makes the problem very complex instead of trivial.

It would be possible to do if each fragment was pre-resolved at append
time to the node that it modifies. ie. each fragment node points back
with an offset to the node it modifies Then searching the tree could
be done by walking backwards through the fragments instead of
searching forwards. Would need to research the best way to do that,
and it would also mean that merely appending a DTB fragment isn't an
option.

g.