Re: Node names and properties names collision

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 04:22:39PM +0000, Stuart Yoder wrote:

> [...]

Yes, it's permitted.  Properties and subnodes of a node live in
different logical namespaces.

> That being said, in practice
> I don't think this situation happens.

It's rare, but it has occurred in practice.  A number of old PowerMac
machines had DTs with (IIRC it was both an "l2-cache" property and
"l2-cache" subnode under the cpu nodes).

> A device tree describes hardware.  A node
> name "should describe the general class of the device".  Property names
> should be meaninful and if they are non-standard should have a organization
> specific prefix.
>
> The DTS example above seems to be a horrible example and follows none of those conventions.
> There are no compatible strings, the node names don't seem to be describing
> hardware.  And not sure why you would need properties pointing to subnodes.  So,
> the syntax/semantics of device tree allows it, but nothing like that example would
> ever pass a public review.

That particular example does indeed look horrible.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson