Re: Record of original components for fdtoverlay

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 2:48 PM David Gibson
<david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 03:20:12PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Sorry for a stupid question.
> >

> > When you get a DTB by using fdtoverlay, there is no way to
> > know how it was produced later. Correct?
>
> More or less, yes.  Depending on the exact situation there might be
> some clues that an overlay has been applied, but there's certainly no
> easy or reliable way to tell.
>
> > For instance, this case:
> >
> >  $ fdtoverlay --input base.dtb ovl.dtbo --output foo.dtb
> >
> > Once you get foo.dtb, you will never know whether it was
> > assembled from base.dtb + ovl.dtbo, or it was directly
> > generated from a single source, foo.dts.
>
> Correct.
>
> > In my understanding, there is no room in DTB to record
> > such metadata, and it is impossible to disassemble foo.dtb
> > into the original components, base.dtb and ovl.dtbo.
>
> Yes and no.  It would certainly be possible to add special property
> into the dtb to record a listing of the overlays applied.  However,
> that would only be accurate if the tools used to apply updated it
> correctly, and of course the current ones don't.
>
> Even with that, it wouldn't be possible to "unapply" overlays -
> overlays can overwrite data in the base tree so it's no longer
> available.  There's not really any natural way of making that possible
> within the dtb + overlay model.

Thanks.
The answers are what I expected.

We can assemble a DTB from a base and overlays,
but cannot do the opposite.

So, I was thinking that it would be sensible to
support installation of base and overlay files
instead of assembled ones.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kbuild/20240109120738.346061-1-masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#ma9017aeb05462996177434cd4a1daa1c2fbe09cd

There was no comment so far, though.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]