Re: bus error on sparc64 running type-preservation test

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 06:34:24PM +0200, Tom Turelinckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, at 8:25 AM, David Gibson wrote:
> > I've just merged and pushed a change which I think will fix this to
> > the master branch. Could you build and test that please?
>
> It seems to work, thanks!
>
> I've verified on debian sparc64 that make and make check succeed when I checkout b28464a, while make check fails with bus error when I checkout 87a656a.
>
> I've also verified that the debian src package version 1.6.0-1 builds successfully on sparc64 with patch b28464a applied locally, and that the same package with the same patch applied still builds successfully on amd64. Those are the only archs I have access to.
>
> > If you can make a minimal testcase which triggers this problem and
> > submit it as an addition to the dtc testsuite, that would be terrific.
>
> I have limited experience with C development, and zero experience
> with alignment issues, DTC or its test suite, so I can't be of much
> help here...

The relevant part of the test suite is nearly all shell.  But I
realized this isn't actually relevant anyway.  I thought the problem
was that we didn't have a test which exercised this unaligned case -
but you said it tripped on the type preservation test, so there is a
testcase there already.  I assume it wasn't caught before just because
sparc64 is more sensitive to misaligned loads than on the archs I
generally build for.  I would have thought ARM would have caught it,
but apparently not.  I can't think of any easy way to extend the
testsuite to handle that, so there's not really anything to be done
here.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]