Re: dtsget?

On 10/25/19 12:11 PM, Dobrowolski, Lukasz (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) wrote:
> On 10/23/19 4:45 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
>> Yes, but would like to understand the use better.
>>
>> What problem are you trying to solve that fdtget doesn't work? Perhaps
>> it is too slow? Loss of type information (the little we have)?
>
> Unfortunately I don't know how much I'm allowed to tell about my main use case.
> I don't think it's applicable outside the company I work for.
>
> I thought that someone might find tool like this useful, because while working with dts files,
> from time to time, I used to find myself lacking convenience of a tool
> that would print a node(maybe recursively) or property from dts.
> I don't find grep and vim as convenient, especially if the inclusion graph isn't small.
>
> On 10/24/19 5:13 AM, David Gibson wrote:
>> It would be pretty easy to write a script that runs dtc to compile the
>> dts, then fdtget to pull out the property you want.
>>
>> The difficulty with doing something equivalent for dts directly is
>> that it essentially needs to include the whole dts parser.  That then
>> needs to be kept in sync with the version in dtc, which is kind of a
>> pain.
>
> On 10/23/19 4:45 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
>> With C preprocessor defines and include files, you still need to run
>> the input through something right? Or you want to ignore include
>> files? If not, you're still going to need the front end of dtc at
>> least. Then you need either some output format or to tap into dtc's

In the Linux kernel source tree, scripts/dtc/dtx_diff will do this work
when you provide it a single file as input.

-Frank

>> livetree C structure. The checks code in dtc does the latter. I've
>> hacked up dtc checks before to dump out things like all compatible
>> strings when building a tree of dts files. Something I'd like to do is
>> make that plug-able such that we could have multiple checks modules
>> including ones in python. This would make it easier to add in the DT
>> schema checking to dtc. Or maybe another way to approach it is making
>> the dts->livetree parsing a library.
>
> Yes, preprocessing is needed for this application to be useful.
>
> At first I've just included dtc.h (and intended to split dtc's front end into a library and refactor when upstreaming) but approach with a script is much simpler and would still work for me.
>
> To me either is fine. I can separate out dts->livetree into a lib and make an app that uses it,
>  or write a script that uses dtc and fdtget as You suggest.
>
> Let me know if this is compelling enough for inclusion in the repo and if so, which implementation approach You'd find more preferable.
>
> --
> Łukasz Dobrowolski

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]