Re: centos 8 stream eol on friday may 31

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 12:29 PM Patrick Donnelly <pdonnell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 11:30 AM Casey Bodley <cbodley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > from https://blog.centos.org/2023/04/end-dates-are-coming-for-centos-stream-8-and-centos-linux-7/
> >
> > all ceph builds for centos 8 will start failing then, because dnf
> > won't be able to find the centos package repos any more
> >
> > the teuthology suites for main and squid don't rely on centos 8
> > packages any more, but cephadm suites still use the centos 8-based
> > container. these suites will break until we switch to the centos
> > 9-based images. this should happen very soon, if it hasn't already
> >
> > the quincy and reef qa suites still depend on centos 8 for packages
> > and containers, though we do build centos 9 packages for both. we'll
> > just need to backport a lot of the changes (like
> > https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/53517 and
> > https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/53901) that removed centos 8 testing
> > on main
> >
> > we've been planning to switch to centos 9-based containers for main
> > and squid, and most of the work there is done. but this will also
> > necessitate a switch for the quincy and reef releases because ceph
> > containers need security updates
> >
> > the centos 9 builds for quincy and reef are already trying to build
> > containers, but that containerization step has been failing for quincy
> > with what looks like a ganesha-related issue (see
> > https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/66253)
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/2235#issuecomment-2150782468
>
> This is insane. They've actually turned off the mirrors and painted
> this as a "helpful" exercise in disaster recovery? Wow.
>
> Are we going to have to play this game every time Centos EOLs a
> release? If so, I propose we switch to another distribution that is
> not a guinea pig environment for a downstream distro. Either switch to
> actual RHEL or a centos fork?
>
> I'm not at all amused by this waste of developers' time.

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/readme

Bonkers. Yeah a clone or one of the Debians, Let's do it!
Stream dailies were always a questionable choice, considering we're
storage software.
And while we're at it, could we switch to a base image with a minimal SBOM?

Whatever we do here, it's a reminder that we need to maintain our old
builds, to bridge users across OS's and our Releases.
There are plenty of users still running Nautilus on el7. We have rpms
for 14.2.22 on el7 and el8. 16.2.15 is el8 only, then we have 17.2.7
builds for el8 and el9.

regards, dan