Re: centos 8 stream eol on friday may 31

On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 11:30 AM Casey Bodley <cbodley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> from https://blog.centos.org/2023/04/end-dates-are-coming-for-centos-stream-8-and-centos-linux-7/
>
> all ceph builds for centos 8 will start failing then, because dnf
> won't be able to find the centos package repos any more
>
> the teuthology suites for main and squid don't rely on centos 8
> packages any more, but cephadm suites still use the centos 8-based
> container. these suites will break until we switch to the centos
> 9-based images. this should happen very soon, if it hasn't already
>
> the quincy and reef qa suites still depend on centos 8 for packages
> and containers, though we do build centos 9 packages for both. we'll
> just need to backport a lot of the changes (like
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/53517 and
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/53901) that removed centos 8 testing
> on main
>
> we've been planning to switch to centos 9-based containers for main
> and squid, and most of the work there is done. but this will also
> necessitate a switch for the quincy and reef releases because ceph
> containers need security updates
>
> the centos 9 builds for quincy and reef are already trying to build
> containers, but that containerization step has been failing for quincy
> with what looks like a ganesha-related issue (see
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/66253)

https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/2235#issuecomment-2150782468

This is insane. They've actually turned off the mirrors and painted
this as a "helpful" exercise in disaster recovery? Wow.

Are we going to have to play this game every time Centos EOLs a
release? If so, I propose we switch to another distribution that is
not a guinea pig environment for a downstream distro. Either switch to
actual RHEL or a centos fork?

I'm not at all amused by this waste of developers' time.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His