Re: supported distros for S release

Hi,

On 13-09-2023 16:02, Casey Bodley wrote:
now that Reef gives our users an upgrade path away from centos stream
8 and ubuntu 20.04, i propose that we drop support for those old
distros from the S release. if there's agreement here, we can stop
building/testing them on main asap

I would agree on that. If we can also agree that S will be build on both Ubuntu 22.04 and Ubuntu 24.04 as well.

When using packages I like to have the opportunity to change either the OS version, or the Ceph version, but not both at the same time. It makes troubleshooting (performance) issues so much easier.

Unfortunately this is often not possible for Ubuntu releases. Like for Quincy, it's only available for Ubuntu 20.04, but not 22.04.

And that's unfortunate really. Actually Sage Weil mentioned this during Cephalocon in Barcelona as something that he would like to address. And it is one of the reasons the one year release cycle was chosen. It should make it easier to align major OS releases with Ceph. However, because of this misalignment, Mimic was not picked up by main stream distros, and hardly used in comparison to Luminous and Nautilus.

Having said that, new clusters that we will build will be based on Cephadm (and maybe in a far away future Rook). And then it's easy to stay on the same OS while upgrading Ceph, or vice versa. So it doesn't matter anymore.

Gr. Stefan