Re: supported distros for S release

On Thursday, September 14, 2023 11:33:21 AM EDT Dan van der Ster wrote:
> Hi Casey,
>
> I guess this doesn't matter for cephadm users anyway.

The cephadm "binary" is limited to supporting the lowest common python version
available on all the supported platforms. It runs outside of a container
context. So currently the binary is limited in what python stdlib modules and
languages features. I'd personally be interested in being able to use python
versions newer than Python 3.6.

The current refactoring project and the "compiled" cephadm make are on track
to make it supporting older Python a little less burdensome as we'll be able
to eventually use a small curated set of non-stdlib dependencies. But there
are good language level improvements (newer type hinting syntax comes to mind)
that I'd personally like to use.

> I don't think we track it via the telemetry, but it would be nice to know
> how many users are cephadm vs packages.

Yes please :-)

> BTW, is the container image already based on steam 9 for Reef and Squid?

I just double checked main branch CI images - they're based on Centos 8
Stream. I'm pretty sure, but didn't verify, that reef images are too.