Re: supported distros for S release

Am 13/09/2023 um 19:24 schrieb Anthony D'Atri:
> CentOS 9 came out ... ~~ 1.5 years ago?  Arguably borderline for being considered obsolete.
>
> I'm not suggesting indefinitely, but I think we're sometimes too aggressive given corporate realities.

CentOS 9 will be still supported FWICT, the original mail talks about
CentOS Stream 8, which was released about 4 years ago and goes EOL on
May 31, 2024, which is not long after Ceph S will be even released as
stable the first time, possibly even before that if S gets a bit delayed
like reef did..

I have no skin in the Ceph on CentOS game, but IMO it doesn't seem
aggressive to stop support for a distribution in a release if the
distribution is going EOL around the time of when said release is
actually done. I mean, I wouldn't expect that Debian Bullseye still
gets support for Ceph S, it's main support will be EOL in ~ July 2024
too. But maybe not the best comparison as major upgrades between Debian
releases are relatively easy and work since decades, so it's not as big
of an issue there for corporate users.