Re: rgw multisite: revisiting the design of 'async notifications'

On 30/03/2022, Matt Benjamin wrote:
[snip]
> Just offhand, it seems like the main potential utility it has would
> be to spread activation to new bucket activations, in particular
> when there is a deep outstanding backlog of hints (all of which
> might be for buckets which have been ingesting data for a long
> period)?

I agree with this. We should have a way to distribute work so that
buckets ingesting huge quantities of data can't starve other
buckets. We have some sync fairness work underway that should help to
address this. I don't see the current notification code as really
helping since buckets doing a huge ingest trigger notifications just
as any others do. In my opinion, the ongoing sync fairness work
basically is the better version of async notifications.